Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Simple, Normal Day

The chai is good, my maid has come

The sun is streaming, breakfast is done

I got up late, no deadlines to meet

I have no need to look pretty or neat

No one unexpected has come to the door

I've cooked dal and rice, it tastes as good as before





It's a simple normal day, I hope it stays that way

And this poem is ordinary, but that's okay.





The television is on, and love is in the air

My favourite show is serving predictable fare

My mind is wandering, and I love that it does

There's nowhere to go, so why make the fuss

My friends call, they're staying up late

But by going to bed, I've sealed my fate





It's a simple normal day, I hope it stays that way

And this poem is ordinary, but that's okay.





Then I close my eyes, and expect to sleep

But what I see, takes an astonishing leap

And normal becomes strange, and strange becomes crazy

And crazy gets crazier, my thoughts are a bit hazy

And my roller-coaster mind, it takes a long-haul flight

And simple normal days turn into not-so-simple nights





It's a simple normal day, I hoped it would stay that way

And this poem is ordinary, but nothing else is okay.

No comments: